The aim of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department is to prepare high qualification specialists, improve and apply new teaching methods, carry out scientific research and clinical practice. Provide Odontology and Oral hygiene students with oral and maxillofacial surgery theory and practice. Oral and maxillofacial surgery subject is being taught for III-V year Odontology and VI year Medicine students in Lithuanian and English. Oral hygiene students are introduced to oral care peculiarities after maxillofacial surgeries. In Maxillofacial Surgery Department, there is Maxillofacial surgery club of LSMU Student scientific society, where students from Odontology and Medicine faculties are actively involved.
Main topic for clinic‘s research is optimization of maxillofacial diseases diagnostics and treatment, investigation of biologic materials, regenerative medicine and health technologies, the supervisor prof. habil. dr. Ričardas Kubilius.
Scientific projects at Department of Maxillofacial Surgery:
• Alveolar ridge and buccal bone wall resorption evaluation after filling with xenograft, allograft and PRGF
• Perspectives of tissue engineering in bone regeneration
• Development of new complex pathogenetic treatment method of progressive peri-implant tissue inflammation
• Immediate implant placement in the aesthetic zone – treatment methods, based on alveolar morphology, and aesthetic evaluation
• Creation of new instrument for buccal alveolar bony wall thickness evaluation
• Qualitative evaluation of jaw bony structure and bone defects‘ regeneration with bioengineering methods
• Evaluation of maxillary sinus and surrounding tissues anatomy changes after loss of one or more teeth
• Pre-analgesia effect on different psychoemotional patient groups during 3rd molar extractions
• Bisphosphonate related jaw osteonecrosis: optimization of treatment plan and prophylaxis.
• Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of facial pain
• PRGF use in treatment of patients with myofascial syndrome in the face
• Immune response to different bone graft materials
Project with JSC Baltic Orthoservice “Contract for the provision of research services“, project supervisor prof. habil. dr. Ričardas Kubilius.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department cooperates with Kaunas University of Technologies, Vilnius University, Riga Stradins (Latvia), Tartu (Estonia), Oulu (Finland), Hacettepe (Turkey), Granada (Spain), Michigan (US), Porto (Portugal) universities.
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery provides these residencies:
• Oral surgery for Odontology program graduates
• Maxillofacial surgery for Medicine program graduates
During PhD studies, students increase theoretical knowledge in maxillofacial surgery and participate in scientific research.
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery is one of three specialized inpatient departments, where care is given for maxillofacial patients. Patients with maxillofacial trauma, infections, oncology, neurostomatologic diseases, congenital and acquired defects and deformations, salivary pathology are treated. Neurostomatologic diseases and temporomandibular joint surgical treatment is provided only at this facility in Lithuania.